Everyone has furniture. Furniture is great – it provides us with a comfy place to sit in front of the TV, a great night’s sleep, a place to eat dinner & something to relax on. While we love our upholstery, sometimes we do consider it to be boring.
Well things are about to change, as we’ve pulled together 8 fun and fascinating furniture facts, to impress you.
8 Fun & Interesting Furniture Facts
- The average life-span of a sofa is 2,958 days (that’s roughly 8 years). The oldest bookcase in the world is located in the Bodleian Library at Oxford University – which is also one of the oldest libraries in Europe.
- After a house and a car, upholstery is usually the third most expensive item a person will buy during their lifetime.
- Have you ever wondered who invented the office chair? It was none-other than Charles Darwin in the 1800s, who added wheels to his chair to get around his study quicker.
- Throughout a sofa‘s life, it will host roughly 782 visitors.
- An average sofa is used as a place to sit while eating a meal 13 Xs a month. That translates into (1,261 meals over the sofa’s lifetime).
- The oldest known chairs were ceremonial furniture from Ancient Egypt 5,000 years ago.
- Chairs didn’t come into common use until the 16th century. Before then people sat on stones or wooden benches.
- Why do kings sit on thrones? In early history, chairs or thrones were generally used by people of higher society. People with less calibre sat on stools.
So next time you are relaxing on your upholstery or perhaps you’re sitting down for a meal at your rustic dining table or even ordering some bespoke furniture pieces, remember there is a lot of fascinating facts and history about that piece of furniture. Upholstery manufacturers recommend having upholstered furniture cleaned professionally every 12 months. Call ProCleanersNJ Today 973-343-7627